Tuesday, January 26, 2010

From the mouth of babes...

Saw the follow quote on the front cover of a book by a young Australian-born Chinese girl, about going back to China for Chinese New Year. Including handdrawn pictures by itself, it attempts to bridge the cultural gap between Australians by presenting Chinese culture in an easy to understand format by a young person for other young people.

"I was born in Australia.
Australia is my home.
But my parents are from China.
China is my motherland."

I think that sums it up quite nicely, for all Overseas Chinese. Yes, we were born outside of China. Yes, we have been brought up outside of China. We have made homes, families, friends, lives, outside of China. We may have adopted the culture and mannerisms of our country of residence. But that doesn't change the fact that, in our heart of hearts, we will always be Chinese.

It's actually really quite difficult to explain how this feeling comes about as strongly as it does in those of Chinese descent. I mean, I know that all people are patriotic about where they come from; South Viets especially detest those from the North, for example, and are justifiably proud of their nation's history of defiance to colonialism. But at the same time, Chinese patriotism is different. Other people consider their descended identity as on par with their adopted identity, but for those of Chinese descent, China comes first and foremost, primary amongst all others. I guess this is because, by being Chinese, you belong to the single largest national identity on this planet...that's a pretty good club to be in. You feel included, protected, and no matter where you go you can find someone else who's Chinese, like you. At the same time, by being Chinese, you can feel proud about all that China is achieving as it surpasses other nations in various fields of excellence, from sports to economics to social.

Anyway, six pages of my China essay are done. If enough people want it, I'll post it up here.

2 comments:

Bill said...

I wouldn't mind reading your essay, if you emailed it to me. But I disagree with you. I consider myself a Chinese Australian, not an Australian Chinese. Why? Because what has China done for me? Hardly anything. In contrast, Australia has given me so many opportunities. I'd also be more proud of saying I'm Australian. China may have the biggest population, fastest-growing economy, a hell of a lot of history, but so what? It gives you a bit of pride but nothing else. And also, there are many aspects of the PRC and overseas Chinese communities that don't make me feel proud at all.

"But my parents are from China.
China is my motherland." - You are what you are, not what your parents are.

"You feel included, protected" - Australia does that for you; China doesn't.

Anyway, I think the whole matter with identifying with a country and feeling too unwaveringly patriotic isn't a good thing.
Quote from Einstein:
"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism, how violently I hate all this."

Thanks for giving me something to kill time on lol.

Han said...

Same, I disagree with you OJ. I was born in China and have been back numerous times but when i think of China as it is now I feel nothing but shame, sympathy and resentment. Shame for what the country has turned into, sympathy for the 99.9% of Chinese who have to endure, and resentment towards the 0.1% who live off the poverty and suffering of others.

I consider myself Chinese but I've never felt a sense of belonging to the country as it is now and I certainly don't feel proud or protected. My allegiance is with the abstract concept of China. I am the gardener who lives to serve the garden, not the owners of the house it comes with. What the CCP has turned China into, I can't see how any Chinese could have any genuine national left.

I wouldn't mind reading your essay too, if you're willing to post it up.

Followers