Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Duty and truth

"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

What is duty?
Duty is the obligation you have to something. Everything.
Duty to your parents. Duty to your teachers.
Duty to your life. Duty to yourself.
Duty to your country. Duty to those you love.
Duty to those that you do not know, because they are human too.
Some of us are called upon by duty. For others, duty finds us.
To fulfil our duty is the ultimate calling in life.

"My intent is to tell the truth as I know it, realizing that what is true for me may be blasphemy for others." - Gerry Spence

As most of you know, I'm pretty opinionated about a lot of things. They're my opinions. Justified, in my mind, by fact from various sources. If you're going to disagree, disagree by trying to change my mind. Not by insulting me.

3 comments:

Bill said...

'To fulfil our duty is the ultimate calling in life.' - Maybe, but a more likely successful approach to life is to
try to give other people duties, i.e. control/manipulate/leech off others.

Anyway, more seriously, it seems that the way you've defined 'duty' makes it inevitable to equate 'fulfil[ling] our duty' with 'the ultimate calling in life'. So it's a circular argument. But maybe that was your intention. I don't know.

Spcogg said...

'Death is lighter than a feather, but duty heavier than iron.'

Yeah, you'd make a samurai, alright.

Anonymous said...

imitrex fioricetfioricet fertility
The currency autonomy is: where voting, number are the government decides scholars of territory.

Followers