Saturday, June 5, 2010

Talking to you

I know these replies you're giving me. You don't really want to talk to me, but you're too polite to not answer. But that's alright. I've been in your situation before. Just never thought the tables would quite turn this way. Thanks for being awesome, and for being yourself (though I guess the two really are the same thing, right?). See ya.

As Alex quite rightfully pointed out, my blog really isn't all that "daily". I guess you could visit daily and reread my old posts, because they're that awesome right? :D But yeah, I don't know. I guess my blogs aren't really a place where I tell about what I did every day, more a place to share interesting ideas or things that I think of. So I'll try to think more often from now on. It's difficult though. Life's pretty mundane, I try to avoid thinking because it just makes my head hurt.

But I was watching Happy Feet, and I realised that it's actually a rather apt metaphor regarding the conflict that arises when the new generation faces the previous one, or when new theories challenge old. If you haven't seen the film, a singing Emperor Penguin colony faces starvation due to a fish shortage. After many adventures of a single mutated penguin who cannot sing, it eventually comes down to an epic showdown as the old guard sings against the new generation's dancing. It seems pretty even, until the arrival of the humans as predicted by the mutated penguin tips the tables in the favour of the singers. I think it just demonstrates the inevitability of the triumph of new over old. Although at the end, the colony is shown singing AND dancing, showing that perhaps synergy of both old and new is required to advance.
As I said, very apt. Maybe the only way for society to advance is to blend both old and new; I think all people can agree that the world as it stands now is not perfect. I'm sure we can all think of SOMETHING we'd like to change and make better. But maybe completely changing the whole world won't work either?

Things to think about, I guess

2 comments:

moox. said...

KILL ALL EXAMINERS
BURN THEIR HOUSES
STEAL THEIR COOKIES

Unknown said...

I was most sad when the dad wouldn't accept his son, 'cos he's different. I guess it was cos he blamed himself - he dropped the egg - but still, awful dad.

Followers