Friday, August 27, 2010

Rap?

So I'm strolling down the street with my Glock 18,
Hidden in my pocket with a full magazine,
Bullets made of brass,
I'll bust a cap in your ass!
Fill the air with lead,
Gonna make you real dead!

Out pops a ganger and I pop him good,
That's how I roll in my neighbourhood,
But his homie sees it and does a runner,
Bringing the boys, nothing could be funner,
Shots ring out as they're drawing near,
And I duck away 'cause my life is dear.

Hiding behind a wall as the rifles rattle,
Worf would be proud of this glorious battle,
One feels lucky and marathons around the corner,
And I think to myself that I'm a goner,
Shoves his gun in my face, fires, fails, made in China,
And I smile 'cause right now nothing could be finer.

Suddenly sirens ringing, choppers and SWAT,
And now my barrel's smoking and hot,
So I take a moment, a breath, a prayer,
Convince myself that it's just a childhood dare,
Reload, refresh, step out into the battle royale,
Time to join the Heavenly chorale.

It's a three-way fight,
Bullets coming thick and tight,
Simply move and shoot, duck and weave,
Try to ignore the bullet holes in my sleeve,
And then a round hits my chest,
So now it's time for me to rest...


Rap? Not really. I mean, it's rap-themed with the ghetto-ness and all that, and it rhymes, but there's no attempt at rhythm, and I'm Asian. I think it's more just...contemporary poetry. After all, wasn't Shakespeare merely the biggest rap artist of the 17th century? I think rap is a kind of poetry. It's got a message, a meaning, a rhythm and a rhyme.

In other news, my 6th week of Semester 2 just finished. 7 weeks to go, plus a week of midsemester break, then it'll be swotvac and exams. Seems to fast...but I can't believe we have 10 weeks straight before we get our midsem break. Makes no sense. 10 weeks on, 1 week off, 3 weeks on, 1 week off, exams? Blah.

2 comments:

moox. said...

i knowww right.
stupid monash people and their no logic holidayness.

btw.
nice RHYTHMICAL ASSEMBLAGE of PHRASES :D

Maggie said...

LOL MADE IN CHINA. BAHAHA!
id like to hear you rap this! :P

Followers