Monday, March 1, 2010

First day of uni

Well, what a day! First, I had to wake up at 6:30am. 6.5 hours sleep, not minusing all the time I spent tossing and turning. Saw Lina, Judy and Xinchin at Box Hill bus station, took the same bus out to Clayton.

First lecture: Biology 1011, South 1 Lecture hall, 8am-9am
Dude, this thing was PACKED. And for an 8am start, that's pretty damn impressive. I'd say...at least 400 people in there, with only the seats up the very back kinda empty. Just basic introduction stuff, nothing major.
People in this lecture: Judy, Lina

9am-10am
Lina's friend used her ID card to get us into the Advanced Science commonroom, for all the Science Honours students. They have poker chips, cards, and an automatic card shuffler in there! Plus computers and a fridge and a microwave and other amenities. Awesome place. Too bad guests are pretty much banned from doing ANYTHING. Got paper (The Australian is the ONLY way to go :)) and went to HAL for a while.

Second lecture: Chemistry 1011, Lecture room S5, 10am-11am
Same again, another full house. People were actually kind of awake now, but still just introduction stuff. Looks like there'll be quite a bit of physics coming up though...damn.
People in this lecture: Judy, Lina, Waruna, Payal

11am-2:30pm
Met the person selling me my Bio textbook, then went to bookshop to get my INT1010 book. God, that place was PACKED. Somehow managed to run into Fei and Danielle though :) Then went and sat on the lawn with them and another guy for a while. Got the bus to Box Hill for otho appointment. Bastards doublebooked my timeslot, so I didn't get in till 1:15. Took the 1:45 bus back to Monash, got to my Bio lab 30 minutes late. :( Damn it.

First laboratory: Biology 1011, Laboratory G04, 2:30pm-3:50pm
More introduction stuff, plus a very useful presentation from the learning unit staff. Since Aaron didn't save me a bloody spot, I'm now stuck with randoms as my lab group. Also saw Ivana at the very end, which was a very pleasant surprise! Haven't seen her since primary school, in fact. Finished early, so they let us out.
People in this lab: Aaron, Ivana

All in all, a good start to the year. Looks like the workload is going to pick up very quickly, but until then, going to enjoy it while I can :)

edit: I also found out that it's possible to fail Chemistry with a 89% overall mark. Labs count for 20%, but MUST be passed. Gay.

doubleedit: Which essay topic should I do?
3. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the application of biological control for arthropod pests.
8. Discuss the comparative evolutionary costs and benefits of parthenogenesis versus sexual reproduction.

3 comments:

anonymous psuedonym said...

I can get you into that room :)
....unfortuately i don't even know how to get there.

jenq said...

seems like you had an eventfull day olle :)

Spcogg said...

Lol, i have this subject called Organizational behaviour. Most fail sub ever. Its possible to do all the assessments then wag the exam and pass, assuming you ace them (50%/50% split). Lulz.

Followers