Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Opportunities

Before I get started, I just want to thank Annie for passing along the info regarding adding an mp3 player onto the Sidebar. Yes, you are extremely inspirational ^^

~~~

OJ: "As they say, the window of opportunity is very small."
Steve: "So use the door."
How often have we been so focused on the path that we have picked, the options that we see, that we forget to take a moment to see if there's a better way? Why try to climb through the window when you haven't even tried the doorknob? Is there something you haven't thought of yet? Life often leaves the keys under the doormat, the fake rock, the flowerpot. Just because we haven't found it yet doesn't mean that it isn't there.

This morning, as I was taking the train from Richmond to South Yarra, I noticed a small bird bravely flying alongside. The very next instant, that tranquil image was replaced by a train lurching past us at incredible speed. I didn't see what happened to the bird, but I knew somehow then that it was dead. Made me wonder...am I the bird or the train? Am I blindly flying to my downfall without regard for others, or am I causing the downfall of others?

I nearly finished the entire puzzle page in today's mX paper. Completed the Sudoku, Jumble, WordScrimmage, and about 3/4 of the Crossword. Simple achievement, in the greater scheme of things, but I feel more accomplished than finishing today's English SAC.

On the bus earlier, coming home from North Shore, a man on the bus pressed the stop button, but the light didn't light up. Not realising this, he got up to disembark, fully expecting the bus to stop at the next stop. Quick as a flash, the lady directly across from me hit her button and the bus stopped just in time. The man got off, never realising that he had been saved that tiny bit of trouble because of a well-meaning stranger. Made me wonder how many times I've gone through life not realising that there's someone out there looking after me, clearing the way, making things a bit easier.

Memory of the day: Year 9, first day of school, arrived late. 8:45 train from Richmond, by the time we got to school all the Year 9's were going into the Memorial Hall and we managed to tag onto the end. Nervous about new school, but Steve and Kevin were both in my class so it wasn't too bad, plus Hungy and Bill were around at recess/lunch. New beginning...felt good.

5 comments:

Spcogg said...

That is a good quote. And howcome i didn't see no bird. And yes i remember the first day too...that was totally rebel of us.

Victor Liaw said...

Yeah there are situations like that happen all the time... ah well...

Steve said...

Hey again Oj ^__^ I think i will make it my mission to comment on as many of these posts as possible hahah XD

http://xkcd.com/530/ - I immediately thought of this when i read your doorknob paragraph =]

About the helpful person on the bus, I love that kind of thing ^^ It really does make the world a little bit of a better place to live in doesn't it. Make sure you help out like that as much as you can ! XD

And i finally get your sparrow thing from this morning.. was kind of wtfed when you said "sparrow thing" during a lull in conversation and then went to scribble in notebook =] *Yes guys, he's got a dedicated notebook :O*

Anyway, happy to take first blood for quotes ^___^ This blog seems like its becoming something quite interesting =] Jia you Oj, keep up the good work! =D

Jenny Zhu said...

Wow OJ, you really are more philosophical yet emotional then I thought =3

FROGGY said...

hey OJ

Good post. Glad that you also joined the blogging world :)

Followers