Monday, August 31, 2009

Insecurity

Much thanks to Hungy and Maddi for being my only followers ^^ Oh, and 0 comments on my last post was kinda disappointing. Oh well, I blame Chem SAC XD

~~~

Jokes. What is a joke? An attempt to humorise an object, person, or situation. But why? It is my ardent belief that jokes are a sort of survival tool used by people to belittle or play down or rationalise situations. But, at the same time, jokes are used to make oneself feel good by making oneself feel like they belong to the majority. It feels good to belong, and people are always afraid of being an outsider. Laughter shows other people as being ostracised, excluded, decreasing their chance of succesful reproduction. Humour is thus a biological trait to improve one's own chances of producing offspring. You make fun of those that may be fitter than you (fit in the sense of being able to produce children) because, secretly, you are afraid of them. In essence, when you make a joke, you're revealing a hidden fear, giving insight into what scares you. Every time you tell a joke, you're showing an insecurity about yourself, whether that joke be about sex, women, money, Polish people, blondes, etc. etc. You make fun of them because you're not one of them.

~~~

Just a note to everyone that professional formal photos will be on sale tomorrow at the Hockey Pavilion for $10 each; if you miss out tomorrow, they'll be around on Friday as well.

~~~

Memory of the day: Start of this year, I was on the tram on the way to Richmond pool for Senior Swimming (yes, because apparently I can't swim...). Some lady on the tram got pissed off at all the MHS kids (there were a LOT of us) for filling up the space. When Faisal tried to explain to her that he couldn't physically make more room, she started screeching about how she was "older and so deserved respect."

Sorry Ms, but respect must be earned through one's actions. What you did? Hell no am I going to respect you. Respect cannot be so freely given.

Respect for someone does not imply that you like them; rather, it acknowledges their proficiency, skill, or experience. Thus, elderly people are immediately worthy of respect due to their obvious survival skill in achieving old age; not only that, but with age comes experience. When the age gap is smaller, however, actions speak louder than words; what you do is how people will judge you. Complain loudly about a bunch of teenage boys on the train, and then demand respect? Dream on. I'd sooner respect Hitler (and I do).

Kids these days have no respect. Some Year 11 guy today called me "nigger" after I didn't throw his tennis ball back to him. Next time he does that, I swear I'm going to throw that ball into the carpark next to the N building. Why must he respect me? Because I'm older, more experienced. And while you may see a contradiction with what I have written before, I see none. Because I am older, more experienced, there is a certain baseline of respect that should be accorded to me. Through negative actions, I can revoke that respect, but upon first contact the paying of proper respect is simple politeness. Perhaps my failure to return his tennis ball in a timely manner was such a shock that all potential respect for me was lost. While you're at it, why don't you start abusing people for breathing your air?

8 comments:

Spcogg said...

More like we make jokes because we wanna bag something, but society doesn't allow us to be misanthropes and whatnots. Remember thos gay jokes, jew jokes, fat jokes? Oh wait....no seriously, i joke because i'm bored. This blog is a joke. See the connection?

Because those ratbags might call the coppers on me..duh? And you lost respect cuz you didn't go and and feed the nubcake his ball.

Steve said...

Lol I remember that kid. Go Lindsay on him next time oj =p

lucy said...

LOOK A COMMENT :)
haha this music is serious improvement from scotland the brave. :)

and bahaha ur player has apologiSe :) thats the first time ive seen it spelt like that ever :)

FROGGY said...

haha yeah i know how you feel when you see 0 comments.

but then you soon realise how many silent supporters there are out there :)

Anonymous said...

oh come on, u cant try to RATIONALISE humour like that - not even most jokes have ulterior motives like those u suggest.

as for ur idea of 'experience' from older age automatically entitling ppl to being respected, i also disagree because getting old is so easy. everyone gets old and gets experienced, so its not like some sort of special achievement that shows ur superiority of character or something. besides, i believe many older ppl arent even wiser than younger ppl in some ways.

alright, im looking forward to ur counter-arguments. if ur not gonna write any, im gonna assume u concede defeat lol.

Bill

OJ said...

You can rationalise humour...I just did. Come on, tell me a joke and I'll rationalise it for you.

Getting old is easy, but it hasn't always been. I mean, with current life expectancies pushing over 70, that's a big leap from even 100 years ago; nevertheless, you still treat elderly people with due respect because they have survived. I mean, hard for you or me to imagine what it's like actually managing to get to 70...not an easy road.

Old people are wiser, have more experience...but younger people are always more knowledgeable. There's a difference. And it is a special achievement. 50,000 kids under the age of 5 die every day...that's 1/3 of the daily death rate of the world. Getting to old age is a massive achievement. We're just lucky because we're in a prosperous country, but that in no way reflects the true situation of the world.

Concede defeat? Oh Bill, I would never disappoint you like that ^^

maddiieexo said...

Kids are bad these days? Year 11 calling you a nigger?
How about primary school kids saying "FUCK YOU" to every visitor that comes to their school & when the teacher tells them to shut their traps? Eek.
Or that 40yo (as you call "should be somewhat wise and experienced") at Costco decided to pick a fight with me:

- "Go back to where you came from whore!"
- "Go die in your western suburb hole!"
- "Let's take this outside and I'll stab your fucking heart bitch!"

Err. To which I replied, "I was born here thank you very much. I also live in Templestowe, which you probably haven't even heard of, but I assure you that the average house price is $750k+, and it's in the East. I'm not sure you want to assault an underage. It could land you jail time. Have a good day. Good bye."

Lame comeback I know. But it got her some personal security to usher her out of the place. Ignorant citizens really do piss me off. Good job Ollie.

OJ said...

Well, if they're going to act like that, then they've revoked any inherent respect that they might have deserved. *shrug*. Like how you dealt with it though ^^

Followers